First Aid Kit 101 for Businesses
Disasters can come in many forms and are typically unexpected. Business and property owners in Islamorada, FL, need to be prepared for the worst at any time. Flooding or storm damage can result in needing to provide shelter, food and first aid for more than 24 hours. Even if a small incident happens, knowing what to do is vital. Instead of feeling the stress of the situation, keeping a well-supplied first aid kit and emergency kit can make taking control of it easier.
Every business should have separate kits for first aid and emergencies. A basic first aid kit should include:
- Varied sizes of gauze pads and bandages
- Adhesive and triangular bandages, as well as adhesive tape
- Moist towelettes, cotton balls and hydrogen peroxide for cleaning wounds
- Medical tools including scissors, tweezers, splints, elastic wraps, and latex gloves
- A resuscitation bag or pocket mask
- Emergency service directions
- A minimum of one blanket
Along with first aid preparedness, a business should also maintain an emergency kit. These often include the following items:
- At least one gallon of water per person that can last up to three days
- A three-day supply of non-perishable food and can opener
- Battery-powered or hand-crank NOAA
- Weather Radio
- Cellphone charger and backup battery
- Tools to turn of utilities
- An emergency plan that includes maps and contacts
- Survival supplies including a flashlight, first aid kit, whistle, and extra batteries
- Plastic bags with ties
- Disposable cleaning towelettes
Once you have an emergency and first aid kit stocked, it’s not something that can just be forgotten. It’s a good idea to designate someone to maintain first aid supplies and do a monthly check. Kits should be accessible, and employees, vendors and other guests should know their location. Managers and other key personnel should also be trained in dealing with an emergency or injury to ensure the right steps are taken.
While a first aid kit is something easily overlooked, it’s important to keep it maintained to ensure peace of mind.