Recent Fire Damage Posts

Firework Safety

1/2/2019 (Permalink)

With the Holidays just having finished, and July 4th coming up. We thought now would be the best time to drop some knowledge. Fireworks can bring several dangers if mishandled incorrectly. Some of those dangers include severe injuries or death and fires. The possibility of starting a fire is especially high when in a drought year.

There are several ways to prevent injury and fires when using fireworks.

  • Follow any and all local laws, rules, or regulations regarding fireworks.
  • Keep a hose and a metal bucket full of water near the site where you are shooting off fireworks.
  • When the fireworks are done going off, dispose of them in the metal bucket of water and leave them over night.
  • Keep the metal bucket of water away from any structures or vehicles in an area where it won’t be blown over by the wind.
  • Fireworks should only be shot off under direct adult supervision. Children should never be given fireworks.
  • Do not light fireworks while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
  • Light one firework off at a time and quickly get out of the way before it goes off.
  • Never light fireworks indoors or in a garage or near buildings or vehicles.
  • Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.

People are not the only ones that fireworks affect. Pets have very sensitive hearing so keep them indoors during any and all fireworks shows. This will keep them from getting hurt in their confusion and fear.

Deodorization

12/17/2018 (Permalink)

Even small fires can cause odors that last for years to come if the affected areas are not properly cleaned and deodorized. Fire, smoke, and soot damage in your home or business can create an unpleasant and potentially permanent problems. As materials burn, the smoke produced travels throughout the structure, leaving odorous residues and deposits on surfaces and in hard-to-reach places. If professional action is not taken, these residues and deposits can cause serious damage to contents and may result in resurfacing odors. With technicians certified by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration (IICRC), SERVPRO of Brickell provides specialized services that can rid your home or business of offensive odors left by fire or smoke damage. SERVPRO of Brickell does not cover up lingering odors with a fragrance; we seek out and remove the sources of the odor. If you suffer fire damage or some other accident and require deodorization services, contact your local SERVPRO of Brickell. Whether it’s fire, water, mold damage, or just a stubborn odor that refuses to go away, we’ll help make it “Like it never even happened.”

Fire Damage Specialists

11/12/2018 (Permalink)

No one ever expects anything bad to happen inside of their home. House fires are something that most people think will never happen. However, accidents do happen, and one day it is possible that you could have a fire inside your home. Many people find themselves in a situation where a minor fire starts in their home. If this ever happens to you, it's a good idea to call SERVPRO's fire damage experts. Some people have small fires start inside their home, and they can quickly put it out. However, even though you may not see any amount of burn damage where the fire first started, it is still wise to call in SERVPRO to inspect the damage. Many times, a fire causes damage that is not in the exact area of the source of the fire. When a fire burns, it creates smoke that spreads to all areas of your home. A fire sometimes embeds an unpleasant burn smell into contents inside your home. Any of issues, if not treated correctly, might result in permanent damage to your home.  When you call in the professionals, it is now up to them to figure out every area fire or smoke damage may have affected.  Our staff is highly skilled at diagnosing every unique situation.  Our experienced team knows how to find things that get ruined in the most unexpected places and use the best equipment available in the industry to remove any damage caused by a fire. It is always a devastating experience when a fire starts inside your home.  Let our team take some stress out of the situation for you and call SERVPRO of Brickell & Wynwood at (305) 643-0710 24/7.

Before the Professionals Arrive

11/9/2018 (Permalink)

While it's best to have a qualified fire restoration company like SERVPRO of Brickell handle the smoke damage restoration, there are some small tasks you can do to help minimize the initial damage before the professionals come in to do the major cleanup. Remember that safety comes first, so if there’s no way to safely gain access into your home, then stay out until the SERVPRO arrives. If it is possible to enter your house, make sure you’re wearing gloves, long sleeves/pants, and proper respiratory protection, because exposure to soot can cause respiratory problems and other medical issues.

Ventilation - Open all the windows and air out the house as much (and as often) as possible. SERVPRO will use industrial-strength fans and other air-moving equipment to help reduce the smoke damage your home has been subjected to, but in the meantime, proper ventilation is key to helping remove the polluted air.

Cleaning - Scrub all surfaces inside and out with soap and water.

Laundry - Delicate fabrics will need to be professionally dry cleaned by someone who is familiar with articles that have smoke damage. Only use washers and dryers that haven’t been exposed to smoke or experienced significant fire damage.

Fire Safety: Kitchen

10/18/2018 (Permalink)

Fire safety is extremely important. The kitchen is an area in the home that is most likely to catch fire. Before cooking, you want to avoid wearing loose-fit clothing, so it doesn’t get too close to a hot surface. Always check the area for anything too close to a burner such as paper towels, pot holders, food packaging, etc. You should always wipe down the area before cooking to remove any leftover residue from previous thing you cooked. While you are cooking, never leave the stove unattended. This could easily catch fire and spread quickly. In addition, you should have a fire extinguisher somewhere close to your kitchen in case of a fire; if you don’t have one, consider buying one. Most people assume the best place to keep it is close to the stove or oven. This would be wrong. If a fire breaks out in that area, the last thing you need to do is go toward the fire and harm yourself. Keep the fire extinguisher in a place such as the pantry or closed cabinet that is away from any area that is more prominent to a fire. If you experience a fire in your home and need assistance: call SERVPRO of Brickell at (305)-643-0710.

Electrical Fires

9/27/2018 (Permalink)

Fire damage is the last thing you’d expect to happen to your home. Most electrical fires start out in the bedroom. Now, before you can plan the clean up and restoration, you must first determine the extent of the loss. To be able to understand how the fire occurred the source of the fire must be found. One of the most commonly overlooked causes is Faulty Outlets.

Overcrowded electrical outlets can harm the electrical circuit and lead the way for an electrical fire. You’ll see this with outlets that have a power strip, or many cords plugged into it. These should be inspected frequently and unplug anything not being used at the time. Other warnings include: circuit breaker keeps tripping, constant burnt smell, flickering lights, any burnt outlets, or maybe you just have old wiring.

Some of the best ways to avoid an electrical fire is by:

Checking electrical cords and plugs.

Keeping electrical wiring up to date.

Keeping electrical cords away from heat sources and water.

Not running electrical cords under carpet.