Fire Damage Specialists
No one ever expects anything bad to happen inside of their home. House fires are something that most people think will never happen. However, accidents do happen, and one day it is possible that you could have a fire inside your home. Many people find themselves in a situation where a minor fire starts in their home. If this ever happens to you, it's a good idea to call SERVPRO's fire damage experts. Some people have small fires start inside their home, and they can quickly put it out. However, even though you may not see any amount of burn damage where the fire first started, it is still wise to call in SERVPRO to inspect the damage. Many times, a fire causes damage that is not in the exact area of the source of the fire. When a fire burns, it creates smoke that spreads to all areas of your home. A fire sometimes embeds an unpleasant burn smell into contents inside your home. Any of issues, if not treated correctly, might result in permanent damage to your home. When you call in the professionals, it is now up to them to figure out every area fire or smoke damage may have affected. Our staff is highly skilled at diagnosing every unique situation. Our experienced team knows how to find things that get ruined in the most unexpected places and use the best equipment available in the industry to remove any damage caused by a fire. It is always a devastating experience when a fire starts inside your home. Let our team take some stress out of the situation for you and call SERVPRO of Brickell & Wynwood at (305) 643-0710 24/7.
Fall Allergy Guide
Here at SERVPRO, we are a professionals when it comes to restoration and remediation. What we really care about is helping people. So, we have come up with a quick guide on how to get through this allergy season:
- Check the pollen count when you wake up.
- Try not to walk through leafs, they attract moisture that lets mold flourish.
- Make sure to drive to work with your windows up and the AC on.
- Wash your hands to clean out any remaining pollen from your hands.
- Keep your work station uncluttered and clean of any dust.
- Shower and change clothes as soon as you get home.
- Don't let the temperature get above 72 degrees overnight; mold grows in warmth.
- Wash your sheets to remove any lingering pollen.
- Keep your windows closed overnight.
Water Damage Prevention
Here at SERVPRO of Brickell we are Water Damage specialists, and we compiled a small list on how to prevent water damage from happening often in your home:
- Clean Gutters and Downspouts - Clean your gutters at least twice a year to avoid blockage. Standing water can cause damage to your gutters and roof. Don’t forget to clean downspouts to ensure water can flow through, and secure downspouts so that they point away from the home.
- Know your Water Main - Know the location of your water main and shut it off if you leave for an extended amount of time.
- Check Appliances Regularly - Check and maintain your appliances regularly for leaks according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Investigate Leaks Right Away and Fix Promptly - If you choose to ignore any water damage, or postpone making the necessary repairs, be prepared to experience mold, mildew, dry rot, or even structural damage to your home.
- Upgrade Washing Machine Hoses - Old, brittle or leaky washing machine hoses are among the most frequent causes of water loss for homeowners. Replace yours often throughout the year to avoid an expensive damage.
- Check Your Water Pressure - If the water pressure to your home is too high, then your pipes and hoses may fail under the high pressure. Buy a water pressure gauge at a local hardware store, attach it to an outside faucet, and turn the faucet to full force. The gauge will give you a reading of the home’s water pressure. Typical homes water systems are designed for pressure of 40 – 70 psi. Anything above 70 psi will put your plumbing at risk.
- Monitor Your Water Bill - Sometimes, the only way you know that water is leaking is taking a closer look at your water bill. If your usage jumps significantly from one month to the next, then there is probably a leak somewhere in the home.
Before the Professionals Arrive
While it's best to have a qualified fire restoration company like SERVPRO of Brickell handle the smoke damage restoration, there are some small tasks you can do to help minimize the initial damage before the professionals come in to do the major cleanup. Remember that safety comes first, so if there’s no way to safely gain access into your home, then stay out until the SERVPRO arrives. If it is possible to enter your house, make sure you’re wearing gloves, long sleeves/pants, and proper respiratory protection, because exposure to soot can cause respiratory problems and other medical issues.
Ventilation - Open all the windows and air out the house as much (and as often) as possible. SERVPRO will use industrial-strength fans and other air-moving equipment to help reduce the smoke damage your home has been subjected to, but in the meantime, proper ventilation is key to helping remove the polluted air.
Cleaning - Scrub all surfaces inside and out with soap and water.
Laundry - Delicate fabrics will need to be professionally dry cleaned by someone who is familiar with articles that have smoke damage. Only use washers and dryers that haven’t been exposed to smoke or experienced significant fire damage.
Emergency Readiness Plan
Disasters resulting in business interruption can devastate companies. It's estimated that 50% of businesses that close due to a disaster never reopen, but the few that due had some type of plan in place. Disasters and emergencies always strike without warning. Planning ahead can help save thousands of doallrs in secondary damage but, also minimize business interruption.
The Emergency Readiness Program is a contingency program in case of a disaster. Provides a NO COST assessment of your facility. Also, critical information needed during an emergency will be at hand. Most contingency plans are made up of three main parts: incident response, disaster recovery, and business continuity. Establishes approved building access in advance for companies like SERVPRO of Brickell to accelerate the recovery process, so that we can make it “Like it never even happened.”
Hurricane Michael Leaves Destruction in The Florida Panhandle.
Hurricane Michael made landfall causing major flooding and wind destruction in the Florida Panhandle with the storm track continuing into Georgia. In addition to the 160 local Franchises in the Hurricane Michael affected areas, SERVPRO also has a national network of over 1,700 Franchises across the country. Our designated Disaster Recovery Teams have been activated and will be deploying to the affected areas as needed. With about 20 franchises out in Panama City, there is only so much that we can do. However, you can help by donating.
You Can Help By Making a Donation Today!
The American Red Cross is working around the clock along the East Coast to help the thousands of people whose lives have been affected by Hurricane Michael.
Click HERE to make a donation
Fire Safety: Kitchen
Fire safety is extremely important. The kitchen is an area in the home that is most likely to catch fire. Before cooking, you want to avoid wearing loose-fit clothing, so it doesn’t get too close to a hot surface. Always check the area for anything too close to a burner such as paper towels, pot holders, food packaging, etc. You should always wipe down the area before cooking to remove any leftover residue from previous thing you cooked. While you are cooking, never leave the stove unattended. This could easily catch fire and spread quickly. In addition, you should have a fire extinguisher somewhere close to your kitchen in case of a fire; if you don’t have one, consider buying one. Most people assume the best place to keep it is close to the stove or oven. This would be wrong. If a fire breaks out in that area, the last thing you need to do is go toward the fire and harm yourself. Keep the fire extinguisher in a place such as the pantry or closed cabinet that is away from any area that is more prominent to a fire. If you experience a fire in your home and need assistance: call SERVPRO of Brickell at (305)-643-0710.
Faster To Any Disaster
Commercial water damage affecting your business can be very scary. As much as 50% of businesses never recover from an unexpected disaster. That's where we come in.
When you choose a water cleanup or fire cleanup provider, you want to make sure you select someone you can trust. When you choose SERVPRO of Brickell, you're choosing a company that's licensed, insured, and has a trusted reputation among the community.
Our team will arrive onsite within an hour to help mitigate damage and get right to work with water extraction if needed.
We will be with you every step of the way, and we will work to always do the right thing. It's our guarantee!
Call us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We're the guys that hospitals, restaurants, HOAs, medical buildings and clinics, and others choose to do their emergency water cleanup.
We can be reached at 305-643-0710, 24/7/365.
We are ready for disaster whenever it strikes.
SERVPRO OF BRICKELL AND WYNWOOD IS READY TO ANSWER THE CALL 24/7
On the call 24/7:
As an independently owned business ourselves, we understand that business continuity is extremely important and that every hour lost is a customer and revenue lost. And with our highly trained and certified technicians, we can prevent loses such as water damage and mold from being a long-term problem to your business. Being that we are a 24-hour franchise, we have a flexible schedule to work around time strains you may have.
We have the experience and the technology needed to solve any problem. If your business is damaged by water, fire or any other forces of mother nature, don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of Brickell!
Water Loss Types
Water damage in a residential building.
Water may seem very unlikely to cause damage. Do not be quick to dismiss it just yet. Water in the presence strong winds can be very destructive. It is for this reason that hurricanes and strong rains have claimed lives and destroyed millions worth of property. Water damage can also be as minimalist as broken water pipes that cause molding and rusting. These broken pipes are ranked second from hurricanes in causing water damage.
There are three types of water damage:
- Category 1
- This is does not cause any threat to human life. It is from is from broken house appliances and pipes which can flood a house or basement.
- Category 2
- This is also known "gray water". The water is contaminated and contains chemicals, micro-organisms, nutrients and biological contaminants. This water can cause serious health damage and discomfort when consumed.
- Category 3
- This is also known as "black water". This water is very unsanitary and contains harmful bacteria, fungi and harmful physical components like sharp tools. The source of this water is sewage, seawater, water rising from water bodies due to heavy rains and ground water.
Classes of water damage
The several classes of water damage help in evaluating water control options.
- Class 1- Water damage is minimal, and the materials do not absorb a lot of water making repairs easy and less costly.
- Class 2- This class has a fast evaporation rate but other materials like cushions and mattresses may be damaged.
- Class 3- water has the fastest rate of evaporation here and the damage caused is greater and difficult to repair. The water may come from overhead sources and may soak the walls and furniture.
- Class 4- This stage requires professional technique and procedures to control. It may damage concrete and hard floors and plaster.